sleeping with the enemy

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

First thing I did when they put in a Hobby Lobby in my smaller metropolitan town, 40 miles away, was to grab an application to work there. 

Now I know what you're thinking... "How could you?  Who would want to work for that conservative corporation?".. as my daughter would say.  And you'd be partially right.

I saved the application and took note of the mailing address. Within the first month or so, most of the initial buying frenzy was over, having sold out of some things, but not everything.  

But it seemed nothing new was getting restocked.


So, I got on my word processor and wrote a letter to the store management, THANKING them for bringing the store to our isolated metro area. I pointed out that many of the items had sold through completely, and how much we had appreciated their stocking rockets. Then I also encouraged them to restock and consider expanding the display, pointing to the fact that as rocketeers grow older, they'll buy larger rockets and support materials.
They must have listened because before the next holiday, the entire section was restocked and expanded a bit (within the limits of what HL carries) . Whoever is assigned that department has taken note of the customers that come in. They keep it pretty well stocked now, though the sales have slowed somewhat.
I'm thinking of pointing to the clearance sale items moving so quickly and reminding them that young boys and girls need items in their Easter basket each year. So, to stock up before spring arrives and the launch season begins.  

Now some people may think this is given aide to the enemy, but with the closure of a mom & pop store 42 miles WEST of me, this HL 40 miles EAST of me is the only game in town.  The local crafts 2000 store closed up within a year of HL arriving and going head to head with them.  And they never had any real serious stock, other than a few blister packs of motors, an a few bundle boxes of starter sets, etc.

This has been the Thrifty Rocketeer, saying "Is it really a crime to aide the enemy when they're the only game in town?"

Comments

  1. Hi Kirk,

    Have been reading your blog for a bit now, but have to say that this one took me by surprise. The title "Sleeping with the Enemy" and the line, "Who would want to work for that conservative corporation?" makes me wonder why you consider conservatives the "enemy" and does this apply to just this company, all "conservative" companies, and/or all "conservatives"?

    And by extension, as one who considers himself a conservative, would you consider me your "enemy" as well?

    We both enjoy this hobby of rocketry and can learn from each other. We should be able to enjoy the hobby together. Yet there is now this wall that you have now put up between individuals like you and I, who have never met. I am pretty sure that if I were I to show up at a launch now I may not be welcome simply because I am a "conservative" and thus as you said, the "enemy." Is this really the hobby you want, that one can only fly with folks of the same political mindset, otherwise we are working with the enemy?

    Please tell me I am wrong.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think by enemy, he means economic in terms of HL and Walmart pushing out the mom and pop stores. I'm not sure how he feels about abortion and the border, but doesn't seem relevant to access to local hobby supplies. One can support access to birth control and support HL stores, maybe. As a new found Democrat, I don't have a problem with shopping for cheap rocketry items at HL but my wife won't step into the store.

      Delete
  2. Yes, Bob, you are wrong. You've taken the tease line in the title completely wrong. "RKLapp" has taken it the right way. I was using the term regarding the economics of forcing Mom & Pop stores out. And yes, "RKLapp", my wife and child won't step into that store because of their perception of the owner's politics. I don't see it that way, as they are "the only game in town" unless I pay a premium price for Hazmat shipping from a major parts and rocket supplier on the other side of the state. (Oh, I still give them some of my business too, but I don't pay for Hazmat shipping. I'd rather ignore my daughter's disparaging comments about shopping at HL and give them some business too.) And Bob, you're welcome to come fly at any club launch. I don't know of any RSO that requires you to fill out a political affiliation on your launch card. Does anyone?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

Glassine Tubes