Sunshine, Lollypops and Rainbows

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues....

Several months ago, I spotted a suggestion from a newbie to our hobby in a Facebook posting that caught my eye. Though I initially dismissed it as impractical, I got to thinking about the suggestion, and now believe that it may have some merit.

The posting on Facebook was inspired by the amount of dogbarf that is scattered by the ejection charge when the nosecone and parachutes are dislodged.

Now this isn't my original idea, but the poster suggested that we could include flower seeds along with the wrapping of our parachute, so that they would be released and scattered when it opened.

Think about that.  That's a pretty good dispersal system.


Now the downside is if you're launching over a farmer's plowed field, he may not WANT flowers or weed type plants in the middle of his field. But then I would think he always has to handle unwanted plants when he tills and plants his fields anyway.  So I don't think this is a major objection.

Then I went the original poster one better.  I thought that we might include a few of the giant sunflower seeds INSIDE the nosecone.  The thought is that if we loose our rocket... or if it comes in ballistic and lawn darts... we are likely to bore a hole in the soil and possibly shatter the nosecone.  There's a CHANCE that we might plant the giant sunflower seed.

Now, I don't know about you, but I just hate to loose a model rocket. Especially if it lawn darts and goes into the earth.

It occurs to me that if we loose such a rocket and plant an unexpected giant sunflower with the nosecone, that we might also get a clue as to where to find it once the sunflower spouts and turns a giant head toward the sun.  What better way to say "Hey, here I am. Come right here!".

I'm not a hundred percent sure that this might work, but for the fractional weight of a few sunflower seeds included in the preping of a rocket, you might just flag the recovery area.



Now, several months ago, I thought I'd float this idea to one of the larger rocketry clubs in my area. So I found them on Facebook, and clicking on the message function, I suggested a  shortened version of this idea.

Then I forgot about it. I heard nothing back. Not even an acknowledgement.  And it slipped my mind.

Until today, when I suddenly got a response, saying, "that's quite a novel idea."

It had been more than two months since I had sent my message to them, and my first response was, "Really?  Nobody checks this account for two months at a time?" 

The response was, "I don't get to check Facebook very often."

Now, I get it. We all have busy lives, and if you're not in the habit of signing on under a particular account name, it can go by the wayside.  But folks, this is an entry point for model rocketry.  I would think that we want to meet the younger generation on their own turf...especially when they've come to our turf to make contact!

But that's just me.

I'm glad to have gotten a response, even if it was delayed.  And I also recognize that between the lawn dart and the blooming of a giant sunflower, there may be an even longer delay.

It's just a thought.

This has been the Thrifty Rocketeer saying, "Try it next time to prep your rocket, and tell me how it works out for you,"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Death of a Hobby