Signage

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

I have talked before about my first visit to a club rocket launch, having spotted an announcement on the internet after doing a search for area clubs and groups.  Some of the listings indicated a group across state lines, that would be closer to me, but I never heard back from them...and I eventually heard that the club president was struggling with caring for his aged parents, and so had let the club slide.

But that's not the point of this entry. I always make a point of saying how I was driving blind to a club launch, following directions on a well-marked state highway.  As I approached, I saw a contrail rising high in the bright blue October sky, but didn't recognize it as rocket exhaust (having never seen a rocket launch before)!

Just as I rounded the dog-leg in the road, I spied to my left a plywood cut-out of a traditional 1950s sci-fi rocket propped up against a mailbox at a farmer's driveway.  I was almost past it when the penny dropped and I slammed on my breaks, leaving a half an inch of rubber on the highway.

I don't recall what was written on the rocket sign clearly, but it was something like "SOAR 182"  It meant nothing to me,  except that I  had seen that section number on the internet and discovered that I had arrived.  Fortunately, I didn't sail right on by, as I was very likely to do so.

I've never forgotten that experience, and it colored my efforts to join and promote another rocket club that in fact was slightly closer to me in the weeks to come.  I always urged our club leadership to put a sign out by the roadway, announcing the club launches each day we launched. Though they never argued against me, they weren't very supportive, and I couldn't understand why.  

Nowadays, it's more clear to me that the presence of signage doesn't help the experienced rocketeer in finding the launch site... and the average member of the public is not likely to stop and decide "Gee, I think I'd like to launch a rocket today" based upon seeing a sign.

But I disagree.  While it is very unlikely for a passing motorist to decide to enter a launch site, the repeated sighting of a sign, or the accumulating public awareness that rocket launches occur at that location can help to build public awareness.

I was driving to work today when I spotted a white "campaign yard sign" that was wedged in the support post of a traffic sign. It sort of looked like either someone had been mowing the berm and tucked the sign up out of the way, or else the person responsible for planting these signs had decided that a cocked sign dangling at eye level would attract more attention.

It was a white sign with red lettering, and simply said "EVENT THIS WAY" along with two red arrows pointed up.

Now I don't know what the event was, but I suspect that it was an outdoor bluegrass festival from some weeks past.  Someone never collected this sign for the next year.

I was impressed enough to take note of it, but it also triggered my memory of my first launch experience.

Since then, I have seen other rocket clubs print up their own "campaign signs" with a traditional 1950s rocket and an arrow pointing right or left.  Another one shows just the rocket and "ENTER HERE".

I have thought that this has been the best signage I have ever seen, as it's colorful, clear, direct, easily understood, and cheap.  The signs can be replaced easily and they are lightweight, storing relatively easily.

So the next time your group is thinking about holding a launch OR a public event, remember to plan for signage to help direct newbies to the site.  A few well placed signs can make all the difference in helping attract new rocketeers, even if they don't come today.

This has been the Thrifty Rocketeer saying, "Guess who now has the 'EVENT THIS WAY' sign?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Death of a Hobby