Budding Rocketeer

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

Well, it's finally happened.

Several years ago, while doing internet searches for model rockets, I stumbled upon an entire channel of Random home brew projects, including a Model Rocket built from scratch.  The channel is/was called The King of Random (or TKOR for short).

This young man had assembled everything from garbage bags chutes to an empty pill bottle or Champaign glass for nosecone, corrugated cardboard for fins, etc.  And it worked.

At least, his assemblage of items all came together and in his videos, it all worked.  I wasn't quite as lucky, as there are variations between Champaign glasses, pill jars, etc.  I had too many gaps, and didn't need to make my own propellant.  I had Estes motors available to me. 



Now, just recently, a Mother joined a FB page and asked for advice. Her 12 year old son had assembled all the elements to build this rocket during the five days she was absent, and now she's worried.  Rightly so.

He ordered on-line powdered Sulphur, sugar, and other elements to make his own propellant. (You'll note that I'm not going to list them all, as there's nothing to be gained by publicizing what's all needed. )  At this point, I was getting nervous as well, as I have never gone this far, and I have a healthy respect for the risk of home-made chemistry sets. (Plus, I've seen October Sky and read "Rocket Boys" myself.)

So this mother is looking for guidance because she's nervous about this too.  Plus, they are homeschooled, and apparently nomads...meaning they will be on the move across the country. So membership in any particular club is not likely to happen.

And, she's asking about using a fuse for an Estes motor instead of an electronic ignition system, to avoid additional expense.

I think you can see where this is going.

A number of us responded, and the posts were generally supportive of the kids' initiative and innovation. But not many had concrete suggestions for her.

I suggested finding a club through the NAR.org website, and getting to a club launch...either to launch the rocket the kid has already built, or to have a controlled environment where he could learn the safety points of launching an Estes kit.

Plus, their Range Safety Officer will be able to examine any particular rocket and make a critical evaluation better than any of us can over the internet. So far, we've only seen one photo of the kit holding his modified design in front of an RV that has half the US states colored in with "Good Sam" stickers.  So, they are indeed mobile.


Now, part of my point is that the mother was fortunate to find and join a supportive FB page group.  But I'm concerned about the accessibility of this TKOR video that even I watched some ten years ago.  The video implies how easy it is to assemble a model rocket.  But I'm also concerned where it led this unsupervised 12-year old... to trying to make his own propellant.

Am I right to be concerned?

How much trouble could we be in, if the worst were to happen?  How much of a black eye could our hobby get  with a disaster in waiting?

Frankly, I think the kid should be praised for his initiative, and brought into the fold. Certainly, he can be educated to the safe way to proceed.  And this doesn't have to smack of punishment or censorship.  It's all in how it's approached.

What do you say?

The Thrifty Rocketeer would like to know your comments.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Glassine Tubes