Glue Threads & Other Delights

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...


Whenever I need a collective title, or maybe something a bit tongue in cheek, I fall back on the old Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Band album title, "Whipped Cream & Other Delights".  As a kid, the LP jacket cover with the half naked woman sitting in a pile of whipped cream was all that I thought the title referred to... but it wasn't until I was a little older that I came to realize that every single song title on the album was some sort of treat, sweet, candy or reference to "another delight".  So much for innocence. 


But this is not really the point of this blog entry.

As we draw near to the end of the year, I have a little more free time on my hands and have noticed both in rocketry forums and in other hobby forums, a  marked increase in the number of people saying "I'm new here, and new to the hobby:  What is the best glue?" or "Where do you find..." or  "How do you...."

For some old hands or "Elmers", this can be extremely tedious, as we seem to periodically get the same questions, which we have dubbed "Not another glue thread".

It's actually important that we continue to get questions like this, because it signals the influx of new blood and new rocketeers who are entering the hobby.  This is critical to the hobby's future and continued growth, no matter how tedious it is to hear the same questions asked again and again.

Be cautious before you snap back at one of these newbies because how they are received may determine how long they give our hobby a chance.  It goes without saying that we all were newbies at one time, and it was the help and support of other experienced "Elmers" that answered our questions and shaped our interest in advancing in the hobby.

I have adopted a policy that I won't argue with other rocketeers over the various merits of one glue over another.   I will typically just respond that I find Elmer's Wood Glue entirely satisfactory for most assemblies, unless another type of glue is specified.  I might mention that I find it cheap, commonly available and washes up with water... but I won't go much beyond that.

Part of this is that I know others will extoll the virtues of their glue of choice, and I know others  will educate the new arrivals on the pros and cons of each.  I just show support to my brand and let it go.

In contrast, let me share my experience on another forum for another hobby when I asked a novice question.  I won't go into the question nor the hobby, but it was the reaction to my question that is important.

One angry, bitter older member responded saying, "If you have to ask that question, you don't belong on this forum."

I was pretty shocked by that invitation to get out.  I responded somewhat meekly that I had thought that the forum was open to all and that we were to learn from one another.  I also added that I would be happy to leave the forum and good luck attracting the new blood that was so desperately needed to keep the hobby alive.

As I had expected, other more senior "Elmers" jumped in, chastising the old bitter member, telling him to back off and cool his jets.  Most of those who posted were very clear and in agreement that there was no reason to adopt that attitude.  But the damage had already been done.  He never apologized and I had no further contact with him.

We have no idea how many other novices or newbies saw that hostile response, and left the forum.  As for me, I stuck around a little while, but had already decided that the level of discourse was going to be above my head. I didn't feel all that badly about leaving the cranky, older forum alone.

I haven't been back.

So, on one hand, perhaps it was good that I was shown the door, but on the other hand... the hostile response is slitting their own throat.

I have to admit though, that I have a tendency to ask a question to which I already know the answer, or have a leaning toward.  This drives my wife crazy, as she doesn't understand why I do that at Lowes or automotive parts stores.  I'm not sure I can explain convincingly, but it is a method by which I can gauge the knowledge and expertise of the clerk who responds.  Do they know the right answer?  Or are they green and just trying to fake it?  My experience is that I can gauge whether I should trust them by the response they give to my novice question. 

It also confirms for me whether I am approaching the problem from the correct angle and that there isn't a better way to do it.  Whatever it is.

So, to ask a newbie question on an established forum sometimes helps me sort out who the Elmers are, and who also is green or inexperienced.  This has been quite helpful in rocketry, as I   bump  into more and more people at various clubs, launches, stores, or elsewhere.

So next time someone asks an obvious question, stop and think before you blast them... maybe they're trying to take your measure...or decide if this is the hobby forum for them.

This has been the Thrifty Rocketeer, saying, "I prefer Elmer's yellow glue"... don't you?


Addendum: I knew when I selected the LP cover that it would attract some attention. That was part of the intent.  But I'm even more gratified to hear from several of the most supportive Elmers in this hobby in support of the blog entry.  The people I respect most in this hobby got the message, and agreed. And that makes me feel very, very good.




Comments

  1. There was a guy who went by "Micromeister" on YORF. He has since past away.
    A new MicroMaxx builder proudly posted some of his new unpainted builds. MicroMeister responded with something like: "You had better paint them. They're not finished until they are finished." MicroM wondered why the new modeler left the forum.
    I once painted a MMX Honest John like the old Estes catalog picture. MicroM wondered why I would paint it in "non-scale" colors. I answered: "I might just paint the next one pink."
    Occasionally he'd post a good tip. He did alienate some with his: "My way or the highway" attitude. RIP MicroMeister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had an issue with Elmers White glue. I am reading some old Flying Model Magazines from the late 60s and early 70s where they discuss building model rockets. They discuss gluing the balsa fins to the body with model airplane cement and using regular glue for the fillets. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Cleaning House