What's in a Name?

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

I was skimming a Facebook page recently when a posting caught my eye.  It was basically asking what the term  for a particular style of balsa fin construction is.

What's the term for "making a fin that is comprised of multiple pieces of balsa butted up against each other."

Now, this wasn't anything particularly spectacular.  And part of the reason why it caught my eye was that the fin shape was one that I had recently built.  And so, it was a question that I would have asked as well.

While I can't give you an exact picture, the plan was to make a unique fin shape out out two flat triangles that are glued together to form.... I don't know what... but it makes me think of either a phoenix or perhaps a delta wing fighter...  (I'm talking through my hat here, cause I really don't know how to describe the finished shape.)

For clarity, let's just say that the largest piece of fin is NOT a


sweptback fin that attaches to the body tube via a root edge.  The grain runs not quite perpendicular to the body tube, but enough that it is a strong joint and strong fin.  However, the secondary part of the finished fin assembly nestles in front of the main fin, forming a bit of a stabilizing plane.  It also is attached via the root edge of the second piece, and breaks or covers  the leading edge of the main fin.  So, the second fin, while in the same flat plane as the first,  pierces the airstream before the leading edge of the main fin is struck.

I have to think that this is more a stylistic choice than an actual aerodynamic advantage.

But the point of relating this is the question of what to call this fin assemblage.

Now, a couple of rocketeers scoffed at the question, saying "Who cares?" and "Just build it and launch it."

But I think it's a reasonable question.

How do you describe this "composite fin assembly"?

And, that's what I think it should be called.... "a composite fin".

There doesn't seem to be a consensus in the hobby of what to call this, and I'm certain that the technique has been done before.

The original poster claimed that there was quite a bit of jargon in our hobby, and that it was not always easy to understand how some of the terms came about.

But that's OK.   At least he was asking the question in a public forum, and has yet to get a definitive answer.

So what do you think?

What IS the term for such a fin assembly?

The Thrifty Rocketeer wants to know...

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Glassine Tubes