Star Trek Font

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues....

A couple of Star Trek topics for this week's topics.


First, I was saddened to learn of the passing of Nichelle Nichols, the actress that originally portrayed "Lt. Ohura" on the original Star Trek series.  She was a pioneer in so many ways, and also became a great spokeswoman/recruiter for NASA in her later years.  She will be missed.

And that's as a good a jumping off point for my next topic as any.


Perhaps you have already noticed that Estes has adopted a new typeface or font for all packaging.  I first saw this modern slanted font on packages of D12-5  when they started stocking them at HL a year or so ago.

While I love the modern look to the font, I have to state for the record that I hate with a passion the fact that they are using them for motor blister packs...specifically the 5.  To my eye, the 5 looks like an S.

Oh, I know what you're going to say....that anyone familiar with motors will immediately know that an S makes no sense, but a 5 certainly does.


And I think that's part of the problem.  Estes is assuming that shoppers at HL will already have some knowledge of what value motors they need and how to read it.

So much of our hobby continues to depend upon kids and their families getting their first taste of rocketry from Boy Scouts, grade school or Easter basket gifts.  I'm not sure you can safely assume that people know how to read the right motor values.


It's not just on the motor packs where this new font is found.  Glancing at all the rockets and kits hanging on the pegboard, I found everyone of them have adopted this new style font for the name of the rocket.  At least in the regular alphabet, the font is more readable and clear.  I've got no problem with that.


What do you think?  Am I being an old curmudgeon?  Should I lighten up?
The Thrifty Rocketeer wants to know your opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Death of a Hobby