Moochers & Elmers

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

We've all done it...

Asked to borrow something from another at a club launch site...

Perhaps the term "Moocher" is too strong, as it definitely has a negative connotation to it.

However, the situation at the launch site often dictates that you sometimes need to borrow something to accomplish your task...ready to launch.

One of my first experiences was when I had a friction fit motor inserted in a rocket and found that after launch, it had scooted too far up into the body tube... I could not reach it, and could not extract it.

I was stumped...and so I turned and asked a more experienced rocketeer what he suggested.

We have a name for this type of advisor in Amateur Radio... he's an "Elmer".  It's an affectionate term for a senior advisor or kindly experienced senior member who teaches or instructs those below him.   And I think the term works here as well.

He turned and rummaged around in his tackle box for a few moments, and came up with a tool for me.  It was basically a pick...an awl...but at one end, it had a 90 degree bend in it to form a hook of sorts.

That did the trick.  I was able to insert the pick down the length of the motor, turn and hook the upper edge of the expired motor, and pull it back out.  It dropped an inch or so, and then I was able to grip the motor with a pair of pliers and pull it out cleanly.

I was impressed with the little tool and asked more about it.  He told me that he had bent the end of his pick to form the tool.

I started looking for one immediately, and I found that by careful shopping, you could actually find a cheap one on the internet.  I ordered one.

Seems to me it ran under $7 total and arrived within a few days.  I've used it a couple of times since then, but it has an honored spot in my tool kit.


You can learn a lot from an Elmer, a senior rocketeer who advises you about rocketry.

My Elmer has taught me about wrapping a motor with masking tape to make a friction fit...about how to tape two motors together with Magic Mending tape to "chad stage"... and how to use blown cellulose insulation ("Dog Barf") to pack a rocket instead of recovery wadding.


Another thing that he carries is a pin vice drill.  I don't recall just why he had it or how we used it at the launch, but I began looking for one almost immediately.  I was quite surprised to discover several on a pegboard display when a local hobby/craft store went out of business. I snapped one up for a bargain price, and now I carry it in my tool box.

I also saw a "Hobby Saw" that helped to amputate and restore a rocket to flight status as well.

I started looking for one, and quickly determined that they were too expensive and specialized for me. However, at this same Craft Store closing sale, I spotted a replacement blade that was laying solo at top a locked case.  It was still in the package, which was covered by a thin layer of dust.  This told me that it had been intended to be returned to inside the locked glass case, but someone restocking didn't have the case key, and so 'parked it' on top and forgot about it.

I was happy to buy it, and again, it resides in my jump box, ready to be pressed into service when needed.


Now, a person who never has the right materials, or never invests enough in the hobby, can be a real pain in the butt.  However, most "moochers" learn what they need and will invest in the proper tool when they can.

And I think that's the value of having a seasoned "Elmer" about.  To help answer questions...

What tools and tips have you scored from your "Elmer"?  The Thrifty Rocketeer would like to hear your suggestions and experience...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Glassine Tubes