Da Leaper

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

So this entry is going to concentrate on "da Leaper".

No, not the 'Evil Leaper' from "Quantum Leap" fame.... this is the MARS LEAPER, from Estes.

Let me apologize to Estes right up front for this, cause no one likes to see their product in a bad light, but I want to share my impressions and explain how I came to this.

You see, it all started with my regular semi-weekly trip to our nearby HL (do I really need to hide their identity from y'all?)... where I regularly check the Rocketry sales area, as well as a stroll to the back corner of the store for "clearance" items.  Sometimes, I spot a bargain, but usually, I just glance at what's there and try to imagine how I could use them in some other manner.

But today, I spotted no less than three Estes products setting in a row on the Clearance shelf.


There were THREE Mars Leapers new in the box.   I glanced at them, and determined rather quickly that this was a kid's toy, a version of an older style "rocket" with some dressed up bells and whistles.

I didn't think much about them, except to glance at the discounted price, $5.99 each.

I went back this week, and spotted them again, but then also noticed something else had been added.  It was a blister pack of motors laying apart from the Leaper trio.  I almost didn't register them, as I am so used to seeing such packs laying around my den and workshop. I looked closer.  They were four A10-0T motors in a package marked down to $2.99

Now my juices were rolling.  I double checked and confirmed that these were the motors for the Leaper.

And then I went home.

When I was there, I got on line and started asking questions about the Leaper and if anyone was knowledgeable about them.  I stumbled upon a review or two of them and discovered that the Leaper was not held in high regard by the majority of posters.  The main sticking point seemed to be the price point.

The Mars Leaper is a seated figure of a woman astronaut who is made of Styrofoam, three long straws that extend out as legs or 'stabilizers', and a center hole for the small 13 mm motor up the center.

At least one poster complained that there certainly wasn't $25 worth of materials there, and upon reflection, I have to agree with him. Maybe a couple of bucks, but certainly not $25.  But then, I wasn't being offered them at full price.

I decided that it might make a nice gift for a young kid who helps us keep our launch pad mowed.  So I went back and bought the motors and one Leaper.

I took it home and began to unpack the item. It struck me that the majority of this box was packaging.  The Styrofoam figure 'sits' upon a small blown plastic hump, 'lashed down' to it by a very simple, weak rubber band. Once that is removed, the figure comes right off.  And the only thing left in the box is a clear plastic baggie with six 6" plastic straws, 3 plastic connectors, and folded instructions.

The instructions tell you to connect two straws with the connector and wrap it in tape to secure. Upon completing all three stabilizers, insert them into the base of the Leaper figure. It also demonstrates how to wrap an A10-0T motor with masking tape so that it's snug but not tight in the base.

That's it.  The instructions are clear and simple, and the 'rocket' is clear and simple.  The only challenging part appears to be how the motor is expected to eject itself at appogee so that the Leaper will right itself and float down, tumble recovery or featherweight, to land on the three stabilizer legs.

I figure I'll take it out to the launch range tomorrow and try one for myself, and then give it to the "lawn boy"  if he's there.   As a gift, and to intrigue a kid with an immediate gratification toy, this might work well.  But there's no learning curve here, except how to load a motor and ignitor plug.

Perhaps that's all that's needed.  But for $10 total, I would have expected just a little more.  Maybe I'm just too old and out of the target audience.

This has been the Thrifty Rocketeer blog, saying, "There's two more of these Leapers locally for those who want to part with $6 for a gift."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Death of a Hobby