Fixing Rockets

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

Not long ago, I ordered a rocket kit through the internet, based upon a classified ad on Facebook Marketplace.


Right up front , the seller admitted that 2 or 3 critical centering rings were broken but  the kit had all parts included as well as replacement parts started. In the description, he said they broke while attempting to remove them from the plywood where they were die-stamped out.  It was clear from the start.

After I received the package in the mail, I was discussing it with my wife, and she asked the obvious question that had never occurred to me:  "Why would you order such a kit?"

I was caught off guard just a bit, as it's such an obvious question, that I had never stopped to think much about it.

I replied, "It's a vintage, out-of-production kit, that is complete. And it's from a time period where I've never built before.    It's the one chance I had to ever get one, and have the experience of building it."

"I just don't understand why you would want a broken kit," she replied.

And it has gotten me to thinking.

What IS the special appeal of such a kit to me?

I did my homework on this kit, and made sure that all the parts were there, that the seller was being accurate, and that it could be assembled with the right TLC.

But beyond that, what is the appeal to me?

I'm not sure I can answer that, but it's similar to recovering a lost or broken rocket and nursing it back to flight-condition.

There's something about restoring a rocket kit that does it for me.  Even if I don't actually fly it.

It's the replacing of the shock-cord, the parachute, mending the broken fin, replacing the lost launch lug, or whatever minor repair is needed...  that appeals to me, now that I know enough about the hobby and understand the relative strengths and sturdiness required.

I suppose it's similar to the appeal of restoring a classic car, or refitting a motorcycle, or restoring a sailboat.  It's the knowledge that without your attention and care, this thing wouldn't be worth as much.  And that after your attention, it is worth so much more.

It's something you can do, to make better, to improve, to correct, to restore.

And that does it for me.

How about you?

The Thrifty Rocketeer wants to know if you share this passion?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Death of a Hobby