Impulse Buy

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

Well, it's no secret that I like to shop for a bargain.

And this week, one fell into my lap.

I normally search for "Model Rockets", but this time, I changed it up and searched the term "Model Rocket".


It made all the difference in the world, as a newly listed  rocket kit popped up.  It was an early model Pro Series II "Impulse" rocket that was listed for $50, but the devil is in the details:

The original owner had opened the kit, and attempted to remove or punch out the centering rings...breaking one or two of them in the process.

Now, I don't know how the laser-cut rings of the past have compared, but I understood that they were broken. The original owner had secured another sheet of thin plywood and attempted to trace the shapes and  cut replacements out.

All seemed straight forward enough, so I began to ask questions about the model, and ask about who had made replacement fins or centering rings for such a rocket before.

To my luck, I ran into someone in my circle who had done just this to upgrade his rocket when he built it some years ago.

The trick, he said, was to notch the fins so that they would mate well with the centering ring, and not use a odd strip of wood that was designed to strengthen the joint, but was universally panned at the time.

I also asked about at the replacement rings at a model rocket supply company near me, and learned that, "yes" they had the proper size in stock.  Also, they had a volunteer who had fashioned new fins for my first friend when he upgraded HIS Impulse rocket.

I couldn't be happier.  It was looking like everything could be done to finish the rocket and upgrade it at a reasonable price.

So, I contacted the original poster, and asked a few more questions, like what the recommended motors were, and if all parts were there.  He responded that the rocket kit was his father-in-law's and that he'd ask him about it.   The next day he answered all my questions and added that the model had been purchased at a hobby shop back in the day.

We discussed shipping vs. a 7-hour drive to come pick it up, and the seller said he'd check on shipping. It was likely to be $15 or so.

When all came together, it looks like the unit, complete with attempts to correct and replace the centering rings, will run me about $65.   This is somewhat more than I might normally spend for a rocket, but my skills have increased, and my appetite in motors increased, and I have a lot of support from a parts supplier who assures me that they can support whatever my needs are.

So I pulled the trigger.

No sooner had I sent the funds via PayPal, than I got the confirmation that the seller was packaging and shipping the unit today.  He included three photos of the wrapped package, the USPS price chart and the receipt, complete with tracking number for my attention.  I've got to tell you that I'm impressed. He's been straight forward, accurate, prompt and reasonable. What else could you want?

It could arrive by Saturday, but more likely to hit on Tuesday.

I'd say that's a bargain.

The current going price on ebay is $200, about four times what I'm going to be paying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Death of a Hobby