The Save

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

A couple of weeks ago, I reported a really good score I made from the local Facebook marketplace ad.  (here it is: The Big Score)

It was a collection of used and new motors, two rockets, a launch pad and a lot of materials from about 1997-98, including roll your own rocket tubes, motors and sugar motors, etc.  I posted about it here.

Well, thinking that lightning might strike twice, I have been patrolling the Facebook marketplace semi-regularly for such a bargain. A couple of entries have looked promising, but nothing panned out.

Today, I spotted a $100 listing from elsewhere in the state, for a couple of rockets, 2 launch pads,  and quite a bit of new motors, all low-power.  It seemed to be from a young guy who was getting out.  I couldn't resist the opportunity to inquire of his interest, especially since he was near a major metropolitan center, and a major rocketry club too.

I dropped him a line, only about a half hour after he had posted.  I asked why he was thinking of dropping out of the hobby.  He replied that he had had these sitting on the shelf for quite a while  and just wanted them gone. I asked about joining a local rocket club, but he had no interest. I don't think he realized the resources that were so close to him.

I also clarified that the red rocket that needed repair is laying in the center of the picture. It needs a fin, and he says it can be cut from the excess balsa from the rocket kits. (A thrifty guy indeed!)

After a couple of back and forth exchanges, he asked if I was interested, and I had to admit that I was not, but that I was trying to save a fellow rocketeer.  He said he was selling.  And that's the last that I heard from him.



It makes me sad to hear of anyone dropping out of a hobby, especially when they have all the parts needed for them to launch and build themselves. I'm not saying that everyone has to stay in the hobby, but I have been surprised to see how many listings show a launch pad and rockets, but many unused motors.  Why aren't these people using up their rocket motors before trying to unload?

It's a puzzle for me, but a bonus for others who want to either score motors at a low price, or dip a toe into the water without taking a bath.  And so, perhaps this will form a gateway into the hobby for someone else.

But for me, it was a no-sale, if only because they were too far away, and because I've already got a LOT of low power motors from my earlier conquest.

This has been the Thrifty Rocketeer with another way to score a lot of low power rockets and a few rockets as well as a launch stand for cheap.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Death of a Hobby