Hatchlifts

 The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

There are almost as many vehicles used to get to a launch field as there are rockets...almost!

But it's a safe bet that if you're an experienced rocketeer, you either have a pick-up truck, or perhaps an SUV with a hatch back.

Most of us have attended a trunkfest or a swap meet where the vendors have their merchandise laid out in the back deck of their car or SUV, with the hatch back raised.  This keeps the stuff out of the sun, and should it rain or sprinkle, out of the precipitation.



However, after some nine years or so of service, the 2012 Kia Soul that I drive failed me...  that is, the hatch lift pneumatic cylinder won't hold the hatch lift up.

Now, about a half year ago, when I pressed this little used car into service as my launch vehicle, the hatch worked fine, but I had trouble keeping a large beach umbrella standing next to it in the slight 5-10 mph breeze. After the umbrella fell twice, a neighbor rocketeer lent me a bungee cord, which we lashed between the umbrella mast and the luggage rack on top the car.  It worked.

The next month's launch, I brought a hank of rope and tied the mast to the pneumatic shaft holding the hatch up.  I thought about it for a moment, and realized that it couldn't tug too much on that lift shaft without damaging it.  So I screwed the umbrella mast even deeper into the ground.


Then, this spring, I discovered the hatch wouldn't stay up. Not at all.  Whatever had happened, the hatch wouldn't stay up.

So I started calling around to ask if Autozone, O'Reilly's or Advance Auto Parts had the right  pneumatic supports in stock.

No way. Not that much demand for them, but I was told they could all get them in stock within 24 hrs if I ordered right then.  The price varied, from $16 to 18, but others were $51 to $68. I laughingly said that I could use a broom handle to hold the hatch up for less than $68 each.

Eventually, I settled on O'Reilly's for $18 and true to their word, they had them the next day. I asked for some advice on how to replace them, having never done this before.  They were clear about how to pry off the C-clips with a small screw driver.

But when I tried this, I was shocked to discover that the ball sockets at either end of the pneumatic shaft both faced the same direction!  I needed ones that turned 90 degrees at the bottom to grip the one on the hatch door!  A small, but critical distinction.  I tried to turn one, but it wouldn't budge.

I looked carefully at the ones I had removed, and found that they were labeled RH and LH respectively.  I concluded there must have been a distinction in the original equipment parts.



Another trip back to O'Reilly's and I asked "Jeff" if I was overlooking something simple. He took the shaft in his hands and said, "yeah, it's real simple. You just turn it yourself to the right angle."Now, he's a muscled guy, but he didn't break a sweat turning the piece 90 degrees.  

He remarked, "That's just a little tight, but that's how you do it."  I hoped that he had turned it the correct direction, or else the part was now 180 degrees out.

I took it to my car in the parking lot and sighed...  Yes, it was turned the wrong way.  

And then I had an inspiration!  I took the new shaft and moved to the other side of the hatch!  I removed the old worn one, propping the hatch up with my shoulder, and compared!  
Success!  The new one was turned almost exactly to the right angle for THAT side.  I installed it.


I broke out the other new shaft and gripping it tightly, I tried to turn it in my hands, and believe me, I was relieved when it turned easily.  It was nowhere near as tight as the first one.

I took the old piece off, and the new one installed easily.

Five minutes after I actually started replacing them, both are now done for under $40 bucks total.

How much is your peace of mind worth when you're out at the launch field and the hatch won't stay up??



...Now, I know what you're going to say, and you're right...

Why didn't he go to the used auto parts junk yard and ask them for two off an old Kia and get it for half the price or better?  After all, this IS called "The Thrifty Rocketeer", right?

Again, I ask how much your peace of mind is worth when making a repair on your car that could crush your head?

This has been the Thrifty Rocketeer, reminding you to tie down your pop-up awning when flying in August.

Comments

  1. Footnote: Mark Van Luvender commented "RockAuto.com is great for parts as well. I use them for a huge number of my parts. " A quick search indicates that I might have found new ones for only $7.00/ea if I had known about RockAuto.com But they listed five options with prices for me too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Death of a Hobby