Rocketing Right Past

The Thrifty Rocketeer continues...

Stop me if I've already told you this one.

Almost six years ago, I had a passing interest in rocketry, but had never acted upon it.  Year after year, I would see a wire service story describing how the Rocket Boys had just held a convention or gathering in southern West Virginia once again and how well it was attended and helped the local economy.

Seems like after a year or two, they were talking about how it had been shifted to Beckley, WV because they had more facilities (hotels, restaurants, transportation, highways, etc) to accommodate the visitors.  And they had provided for guided tours of Coalwood and the environs where the real life story of Homer Hickham had occurred.


But THIS year, I spotted a preview story, that talked about what was to come that weekend, and it was only Friday evening. As a result, I had an opportunity to join in.

Except, Beckley and Coalwood was a long ways away.... probably 3 hours commute one way, and I still wasn't sure why I wanted to attend.

So, I did the next best thing.  I did an internet search for model rocketry.  A club search for the two states that I live between (live in one, work in the other) turned up something like 4 clubs, none of which were near me.  However, there was at least one club that launched an hour away from me once a month, and some other clubs around Ohio too.

But one of the clubs was holding a launch...the very next day!


The weather was going to be good, and moderately warm for the first of November, with no snow or ice on the ground. 


Another search turned up two locations that dealt in rockets...one 24 miles from my home, and one 42 miles up the same highway.   So, effectively, I could visit both of them on the highway that led to the other side of the state, where a launch was going on the next morning.

I was in.

Without telling my wife or family of my plans, I got home at midnight and turned in, setting my alarm for Saturday morning.  I left them a note that I'd be gone all day, and set out up the highway toward the big city.

First stop was the mom and pop Hobby Store nearest me.  However, it was not open, despite what the internet had said. "Come again soon" said the commercially produced "Closed" sign on the door. Eventually I would.


The second stop was at a Hardware store some 42 miles from my home, that had an extensive hobby department.  I greeted the clerk who asked to help me find something. He pointed out the row of rocketry supplies, and said they had something for every skill level, from 1 to 5. I told him I was a newbie, and didn't know what I was getting into. And I didn't want to drop a lot of money into something I didn't know if I would continue. 
 I could see that Level 1 was basically just a plastic rocket with no construction skills.

He asked if I had any woodworking skills, and that since I had some ability, a Level 3 might be appropriate for me.  But there was that Level 2 with minimal involvement beckoning me.  I asked if they had motors or engines for that rocket, and was shown a locked glass case that protected all the motors.  Yes, the recommended motors were on the pegboard, but I didn't want to invest just yet.  I would buy the "Freedom II" and try building it before I bought any motors.  Though the clerk said he thought I was underplaying my skills as an adult and that I should buy the motors now, he realized that I had no launch facilities, and accepted that I wasn't going to invest in anything more than that ten dollar kit.

A short stop at McDonald's for an early lunch, and I was off to the launch.
Off I went, continuing the two hour drive west.  I had a MapQuest map of directions on how to get there and knew when to exit the expressway and what two lane highway to take.

Now, this is the point of my long tale:  As I approached the launch site, I didn't know what I was going to be looking for.  I knew the location was just after a dog-leg bend in the highway, and I kept scanning the area for signs or some directions.  I even noticed the plume of white smoke that led up from the field to my left, against the clear blue sky.  I rounded the curve and proceeded to accelerate. And then I saw it.

Leaning up against a mail box was a three foot tall plywood cut out of a 1950s science fiction rocket ship, with the club letters running down its side.  I slammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop a few car lengths beyond the driveway.  Gingerly, I backed up and turned into the farmer's driveway.  I had read a strict warning NOT to exceed 5 mph on the dirt road past the farmhouse, so I knew to be careful and cautious. Half way down the dirt lane into the field was a clutch of cars and people milling about.  This must have been my target and I approached slowly.

As I pulled up and found a parking space, not blocking anyone in, a rocket lept into the air, leaving a smoke trail behind... and it occurred to me that this was what I had seen from around the bend and not recognized it.  I exited my car and started observing. I talked to everyone I could. I found there was someone announcing over a PA for some reason, and lots of other people who seemed to be doing things in the trunk of their car, back of their pick-up or under their SUV tailgate.  And one set of tables under a pop-up tent seemed to have boxes and tubs of merchandise.

I wandered around for awhile and eventually met the Master of Ceremonies.  He told me a little bit about what they were doing, and that they were from Dayton.  He suggested that I might pick up a rocket from the vendor and try out the hobby.  When he learned how far I had driven, he was surprised and asked how I had heard about the launch. He seemed surprised that I knew so little but had learned so much off an internet search to find them.

I walked over to the vendors table and a very friendly man directed me to what I came to learn were low power rocket kits.  Since I already had one kit in the car (which I didn't tell them) I also wanted to pick up something a little more challenging, but that used the SAME motors as I was likely to buy for the Freedom II... I knew they were the more expensive end of the hobby, but didn't want to put out a lot just yet.  I had visions of using one motor in each of the two rockets and having a third left over for another flight.

Suddenly there was a shriek, as my right ear was assaulted.  I flinched and jumped sideways instinctively, clapping a gloved hand to my ear.   Why hadn't anyone warned me that the rocket on the pad was going to make such a god-awful shriek when it was launched?   I felt pretty foolish, as the vendor was looking at me, bemused.  "Never been to a launch before, have you?" he asked.  

No, I hadn't.  And that brings me to my point.

Although the hobby had enjoyed tremendous growth during the shuttle program, there was no clear path for how to enter the hobby.  There was no welcome portal or clear trail, "Start Here".

Had I not seen "October Sky" and done an internet search the day before the Rocket Boys convention, I would not have known where to go or how to find these people.

I thank the person who had erected that 3 foot tall plywood sign, for without it, I would have gone rocketing right by and never known what I was looking for.

When I arrived at the launch site, there was no welcoming committee...no greeting... no handout...nothing to orient me. (Now, as it turns out, I  learned a lot, asked questions, and bought a second scale rocket on my own. So, maybe it's up to the individual to dig out the answers for themselves.)  I even wandered around, crossing the farmer's bridge across the drainage ditch and walked up to the launch pad... before someone noticed me and warned the launch control officer to hold up.  (So, there were SOME safety procedures being practiced. It dawned on me that what the PA guy was doing...announcing the next launch, and warning people to be prepared.)

But I always remembered how the club members were self-absorbed, tending their own interests, and not prepared for a member of the public to come stumbling in.  And it made me continually think of how to reach out to the public and educate them on where we were, what we were doing, and how to find us.  To that end, I have made fliers, erected signs and continued a Facebook presence for OUR club, which launches an hour from my home, (instead of 3 hours away across the state.)


I think this is important, cause it's very hard to enter the hobby when all you know is that the hobby shops are closing, and MAYBE that you can find rocketry stuff at Hobby Lobby.  But where to you go to find others in the hobby?

Toward that end, I have made a replica of that plywood sign and insist on putting out by the road at every one of our club launches.  I make certain that I have handouts ready to give to anyone who drives up to see what we're doing.  And, at almost every club launch, there has been at least one car that does drive up.  


Recently, someone has discussed getting one of those tall feather signs, to erect at the roadway the day of the launch. I applaud this effort, but I also think it should be lettered simply and clearly "ROCKETS"  or "Rocket Launch".  You have to tell the public what's going on.... a club acronym means nothing to them.


Today, Space X was supposed to launch.  And the eyes of the nation were all focused on the Cape.  Were we ready to reap the attention and welcome new-comers into the hobby?
This is our chance.  We even learned one of the two pilots flew a model rocket last night!  Are we ready for the public interest?  This may be our last hope at infusing the hobby with new blood.  Are we ready?  Or do we just go rocketing on by?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Cleaning House