PONG alert!

The Thrifty Rocketeer blog continues...

Never let it be said that the ol' Thrifty Rocketeer doesn't enjoy a bargain.

While I'm not in the habit of being a shill for any particular company, I do appreciate when something unique comes up, or is being sold-off, marked down, or phased out.

I've probably already mentioned one or two of these in the past, so at the risk of plugging one source over many others, let me highlight something that caught my eye.

My first model rocket was a simple Skill Level 2 kit that I bought while on my way to a club launch across the state from me. I snagged the Freedom II kit and cut my teeth on it later that weekend. While at that launch, I invested in my first (and only) scale model rocket, "The Iris", which I bought because it shared the same motors as the Freedom II kit I already had bought.

But the THIRD rocket kit I bought, was really something unique, and I picked it up in part because of that unique appeal, (and partially because I had just scored a big lot of 19 Estes motor packs on clearance** and was using that to steer my interest.)  If it flew on an 1/2A3-4, I had a pack, and so, was interested in any kit that was discounted that required 1/2A3-4 since I had some.


Which is the long way of getting around to saying that the PONG is on sale right now from a local rocketry supplier.    That's right, "Protectors Of Ninth Galaxy" or P.O.N.G for short, is well detailed.
Custom Flying Model Rocket Kit PONG 10043
It uses mid-body separation and flies under mini-engine power. Recovery is by streamer and it will fly over 500 feet. Another unique feature is that it uses a ping pong ball for the nose cone. Add this one to your collection if you want something different.

The kit is not terribly difficult, but does feature some unique features:   Like, a ping pong ball up front for the command module.  I admit, this reminded me of the deep space craft "Oddessy" from the 2001: A Space Odyssey movie.    



It also splits in two with a streamer recovery from the middle section.

The lower portion has a number of swab sticks (long Q-tips?) that are sawed and glued on as an "iron bar cage" as a decorative feature.

Also, in addition to some decals that really set this up, the original color scheme features gloss black and orange paint.  I bought a single bottle of Testor's orange paint to touch up mine, and I have most of the bottle left over.

The model also features square fins (possibly mimicking solar panels?) not swept nor feathered.  This should tell you this bird is not designed for height nor speed, but unique design and looks interesting on your shelf, having flown it once or twice before retiring.

Downside:  Every kid wants to handle this one. They are drawn to it.  Plus, frequent separation has caused the coupling joint to become a little loose on mine.  Something to be aware of.

And, luck of the draw, the original kit that I bought had two different size green couplers that are used in two different ends of the rocket.  As a result, I had to get a replacement for one to complete the kit.  One is used to slip couple the two haves of the rocket together. The other forms a "collar" or rest for the ping pong ball to rest against, and attached to the upper half.

But the great thing is the price.  I don't recall what I bought mine for, but if it retails for $13.49, you currently can save $5 in the clearance sale.   That means for $8.45 plus shipping, you can score this attractive little bird for your shelf.

And in this period of self-quarantine, this could be a fun little distraction.  Check it out!


Until next time, keep your glue capped, and save your balsa scraps...cause you don't know when you're going to need them!

Comments

  1. Great windy day rocket. https://youtu.be/qjbLLyPdygU?t=215

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Cleaning House