Holiday gifts for the Rocketeer



The Thrifty Rocketeer continues...

Are you stumped what to get that rocketeer in your family?  It's even more likely that YOU'RE that rocketeer that your family is having trouble buying for.

Years ago, my son went out on a limb and bought me an Alien Intruder kit for Xmas...and to my delight, I enjoyed the kit as it had a couple of unique features and design that I would never have looked at.  So all was well, I built it and flew it and then attempted to store it.

And that's where the problem came in.  The trio of dowels that stuck out from the nacels or wing tips, tended to get caught on everything, and frequently snapped off. After several repairs, I found a safer place for this model on my shelf.


No, I'm not here to endorse one model or kit over another.  However, if you like a kit, you could always hint around about it.  Or, just hope that your family gets something appropriate for you.


The problem is one that we face in any number of hobbies where we have developed some expertise in the area, but our family has not.  What to buy the comic book collector, that he doesn't already have, or would appreciate, when you have no idea what his tastes run to, or if he has already passed on this or that book or issue before?


The same problem runs in model rocketry.

So I have a few suggestions:  Tools.

They can always be used, and often applied outside the field since most are universal.

My eye was caught by a special sale that eRockets.biz is running right now.  I saw two items in particular that could prove to be very handy or helpful around the house.

First, try these two key-ring screw driver bits. These tools may be most handy for the rocketeer, attempting to adjust his nose cone, ebay, or similar problem out in the field, but these tools can be kept on his key-ring and always come in handy somewhere else.
eRockets Screw Drivers on a Key Chain Black  eR9086

Another special that caught my eye from the same sale was a three-pack of CA...Super Glue, from eRockets.biz    I don't know about you, but I find my nozzles clog up with CA, and either I have to cut the tips off, or the stuff tends to turn over, especially if I use it a lot...or if it just sits on the shelf.
BSI 401 Cyanoacrylate(CA) Super Glue Combo 1/2oz  Thin-Med-Thick(3 bottles total)

Now, I've heard tips that you should/could keep it in the freezer or refridge, to keep it cool and less reactive to humidity and temperature.  But I've found leaving the trio of type CA in the same Ziploc baggie that it ships in will be very convenient.  I've also taken to adding (just dropping into the Ziploc baggie) a small package of dehumidifier packets that you get everywhere from shoes, to electronics, to batteries, etc.  This decanting crystal pack is supposed to absorb moisture out of the air and keep things from spoiling, rotting  or "turning over".  It has worked for me.  So, maybe you want to invest in a 3-pack of CA once a year for your rocketeer?
BSI 201 Epoxy 5 min 4.5 combined oz Red
And finally, on this same sale, I see 5-minute BSI Epoxy on sale for about half of what it normally goes for.  That is, $4.99 is pretty good, especially if it's normally $9.99 and will combine shipping with possibly something else that you're ordering.

Now, I haven't had to use 5 minute epoxy myself yet, as I understand it turns over or sets up just about as fast as you can mix it.  But every workshop is in need of at least a little of this stuff.  (One caution:  Someone wrote a comment on my earlier posting about BSI Epoxy and claims that the 5 minute variety smells bad, or at least very different from others.  I can't verify that, but suit yourself.)

So, there you have it.  Just over two weeks to Christmas, and I've got a trio of rocketeer tools and supplies that could benefit anyone. (A tip of the hat to Randy Boadway of eRockets for offering this during December.  He has no idea that I seized upon this to blog about.  No consideration has been given for highlighting these items.)

Until you get some replacement, keep your glue capped and save your balsa scraps, cause you never know when you're going to need it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Rushin' It