Hex-3 Build-- Part 2: Folding Paper

The Thrifty Rocketeer continues...

This is the second part of a simple build thread for the Hex-3... an alternative rocket kit that is more of a platform lifter with tumble recovery.  The skill level is 3, but I have thought this is not that difficult.

Now, we've already assembled the motor mount, and punched out the hexagonal base plate, which we used to check the alignment for the motor mount and spring clip.  Now, I've actually skipped a step in the last installment.  I decided NOT to cut out the Tube Marking Guide, instead eyeballing and checking the alignment directly. *(To do so would also have marred the instructions, as it would cut up the panel we begin with today... fold and glue legs.)

First, carefully cut out the three legs from the card stock.  In my case, I used an Exacto knife and a metal edged ruler to make most of the slices that could be done by the scissors.
(I also went ahead and cut out the main body from the next card sheet at the same time.)

I'd like to point out that the folding of each fold on the leg/girders and then the main body took four full pages of instructions in an 8 page instruction booklet.  I made one error by skipping ahead and intuiting the folding. Estes could have reduced these images and the instructions by at least two pages, in my estimation.  Again, I don't think this is rocket science and it's not that hard. (I'm just rushing to try to get this completed in only three installments of this blog, in the free time I have this weekend to finish it.)

The instructions tell you to use a straight edge, like a ruler to align the fold on the legs.  I found a metal straight edge on the ruler worked best for me to fold against and also crease the glossy card stock.  It worked reasonably well, except I missed a minor positioning....

Essentially, we're folding a triangular girder, so obviously, the white panels will glue together. I incorrectly assumed the short trapezoid was to be folded back inside the resulting girder for better strength.  It was instead intended to be only partially folded back and used in the NEXT episode as a third tab to glue against the main body.

I used wood glue to glue this girder/leg together.  And I also went ahead and glued the main body together... but held it as it became tacky and held. I also then made even more firm creases along the fold, in preparation for the attachment to the base platform.

At this point, you can see how the craft will come together.

 As the final step in this installment, we're going to adhere the base platform to the main body, and let it dry for the evening.  That will allow us to insert the motor mount next installment, as well as attach the three legs.  But that's for the next blog entry.


Until then, keep your glue capped and save your excess balsa scrap (even though there is none this rocket kit) ...cause you never know when you're going to need it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Cleaning House