The debut of the Thrifty Rocketeer

Welcome to the Thrifty Rocketeer.

This is in response to a challenge from the Daniel, the Rocket N00b, to create and post my own model rocket themed blog entries.

Well, I've got some ideas, and have been limited by a lack of computer space and photos. But tonight, I have time on my hands and I have been snapping a lot of photos on an older cell phone (6 yrs old, is that very old?)  in preparation to try my hand.  Unfortunately for me, I hit the wrong button on the phone while trying to sort out hundreds of photos collected over the last year, and lost them all.  Everything.


So I started over tonight.  I started with a little project that goes by various names:  The Cottontail,  the Rabbit Goonie, the Avedzdotchka ACM, and Zvezdotchka Anti-Carrot Missile. There was also a "Cloud Hopper" back in 1973-74.   Before I go any farther, I ought to give credit where it's due.  But I can't. I don't know where I first saw these plans, except that someone shared it on Facebook, and discussed it with me. It might have been Peter Alway, but I really don't recall.  When I got stuck on modifying a few of the requirements or instructions, someone jumped in and advised me, basically saying I was sweating over nothing...and that if it was a little unstable, a little clay in the nosecone would make it all work out alright.


So that out of the way, let me share that I'm working from the Zvezdotchka ACM plans, but have had to make a few alterations. Basically, instead of using a Big Bertha as the core rocket, I've gone with a Baby Bertha, and found that the body tube length was acceptable.  I had initially gone with 1/4" basswood for the fins, thinking thicker was better. But Basswood is heavier than balsa, and this build is going to go with 1/8" Balsa instead.

I also have tried to honor the grain direction on the plans, but in an effort to conserve wood, a few of my fins have been tilted one way or another. I find I could place all five pieces carefully on a 3" wide piece of wood, and only use up 9" length, with a minimum of scrap. After purchase of my plank of 1/8" balsa from a local hobby shop for $2.99... I still have 2 ft 3 inches and change left over for the next project. Not bad, for a thrifty rocketeer.  (Maybe I'll have to change the name of this bog after all.)

I also have fallen into the habit of sealing my balsa with diluted Elmers Carpenter Glue. This slurry made from one or two drips of tap water to a half cap (from a 2 little bottle) of wood glue paints easily and hardens well and reasonably fast.  I have tried papering the fins once, and found school glue doesn't do as smooth a job as Elmers Yellow Glue... and once I used crafting sealer, from a small 4 ounce bottle.  It dried well, but ruined my brush, as I had no solvent!  I much prefer the water clean up of Elmers.

Tonight, I can't find my $2 bottle of Elmers Carpenter Glue, and as it's Thanksgiving, all the stores are closed. So the role of the yellow glue is being filled by Tightbond II which I found laying around. (Hey, my wife moved the glue, so it's only fair that I use a few drops of the wood glue that she bought for her wood project, right?) Seems to be performing the same. 

After my first rocket, some 5 years ago, I have begun to feather all my leading edges, unless the design doesn't allow it, or the fins are supposed to be square for a design aesthetic.  This produces dust.  And while I tend to ignore it, my family is getting after me about sanding in the house, especially during the winter when the windows are closed. Yes, you should be careful with wood dust... especially balsa dust.  It can be a real problem if inhaled. And you'll find it in you nose, your sinuses, your snot, etc.  Try not to put it in the air, if you can.  If you want to wear a mask, I won't argue against it.

I also like to cut my fins out with an exacto knife. Except tonight, I can't find it. Guess who took it?  (OK, I'll give it a rest... it is probably with my wood glue and I just misplaced it.) So, I have started using a box-cutter knife and some of the larger straight cuts, but a really sharp blade really makes the difference here.  So I switched off to replacement exacto blades tonight, and now my finger tip is sore from the dull edge of the blade. (No, I didn't have a handle.  Shall I say why?)  I also like a metal edged ruler as a guide whenever possible on straight cuts.

On a side note, the instructions also talk about trimming the motor mount tube some, but I've also ignored that. I went with the basic Baby Bertha construction throughout. Not sure that it makes any difference. Somebody told me as long as the body tube is more than 7" long, I'll be OK.  I measured. It's about 7 1/2" as I recall.

I use a Darice brand cutting mat and an Darice exacto knife, cause they were on sale cheap when our local Crafts 2000 store went under this year.  Your mileage may vary, but I like them.

Oh, and one more tip for cutting out patterns on balsa.  I photocopy my plans and then cut out the template. I use a stick of school paste to attach the paper to the balsa and trace both with a mechanical pencil for the thinnest line...but then also use the exacto knife to cut away the excess.  TIP:  As soon as you have the shape cut out, sand the rough edges on sandpaper and remove that tacked-on pattern as soon as possible. I once left it on a couple of days when I got distracted by Life...and found it almost impossible to peel off once it dried out ON THE BALSA.  Much easier to peel off while the glue is soft.  Save the templates. You don't know when you'll need them again. Trust me.

OK, that's about all the preamble that I can think of to start. I guess I'll start the blog entries and show you step by step how I assemble my rocket, starting with the fins construction.  I hope you'll stay with me and give me some feedback, as this is my first illustrated blog.  And Daniel, the Rocket N00b has set a high benchmark for me to aspire to.

Stay tuned, in 3....2....1....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Line

sleeping with the enemy

Cleaning House